The distribution of power plants

Guideline: Hello everyone, as a part of my data visualisation coursework, I try to create some interesting and meaningful visualisation of power plant data. This is only one of my visualisations. I want to hear your opinions and suggestions about this visualisation I have tried to present primary fuel distribution around the world and the amount of estimated power generation according to fuel types.

Source : http://datasets.wri.org/dataset/globalpowerplantdatabase
Reference : https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1473871619858933
Image :

Visual Design Type: Symbol Map with a Bar Chart

Name of Tool: Tableau

Year: Whole Years

Visual Mappings:

For Map:

X-axes: Latitude

Y-axes: Longitude

Colour: Colours are based on the primary fuel types.

Shape: Shapes represent each power plant (gppd_idnr).

Size: Sizes of shapes depend on the sum of estimated generations.

For Bar Chart:

X-axes: Primary fuel types grouped

Y-axes: Values of primary fuels grouped

Colour: Colours represent the capacity and estimated generation.

Unique Observation: The distribution of fuel types around the world, the amounts of contributing to power generation of fuel types are clearly seen from this visualisation. We can use the combo box located on the right side of visualization to see the distribution of primary fuels separately. The chart located the bottom of the visualisation present that estimated power generation according to fuel types, and their capacity.

Data Preparation: To obtain this visualisation, null estimated generation values were ejected.

Question: Is this design sensible for my aim?
How can I improve my visualisation toward my aim?
Are my colour and background choices ideal?

Hi,
I think that it is a good visualisation for your aim, I think it improve the visualisation I would change how you represent the estimated generation as in some areas they circles overlap making some areas harder to read. I think that the colour and background make sense and also make the information clear.
Hope this helps.

Thank you soo much for your help.

Hello,
The design is precisely for your purpose. Your black background also makes sense and your design more pre-attentive for us. Also, combining bar chart and the symbol make the information clear. Thank you for contributing.

Thank you for sharing your opinions with me.