Colour choice for a Choropleth map of power production

Choropleth map: The map visualises the percentage of clean energy generated in each of the countries in the European Union. The Map displays the percentage using a diverging color scheme. This is done to highlight the difference between the countries, but this is the place where my question lies.
Since the data is somewhat incomplete I have ignored cases with missing values for estimated generated power when deriving the percentage of clean power generated. I have calculated it by finding how many GWh are generated using fossil fuels and how many GWh are generated using renewable or less polluting sources.

Source of database: Global Energy Observatory, Google, KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Enipedia, World Resources Institute. 2018. Global Power Plant Database. Published on Resource Watch and Google Earth Engine;
URL of database: http://datasets.wri.org/dataset/globalpowerplantdatabase

Question:
My biggest concern is the colour choice. I experimented with using a single colour with varying saturation, but it didn’t convey the large difference between Poland and France, for example, the way I wanted it to. I instead opted for a diverging colour scheme as recommended in some relevant literature[1]. Another problem is the interaction between area and saturation that makes countries like France, Poland and Sweden look larger than they actually are, due to the high saturation, and thus more imposing. As with every map it is easy to understand by the general public, but trades off the use of area for conveying sometimes not very useful data like the borders and area of the countries concerned. How do I use colour here to both diminish the problem with the interaction between saturation and area and highlighting the countries that are exceptional on both ends of the spectrum?

[1] Brewer, C.A. and Pickle, L., 2002. Evaluation of methods for classifying epidemiological data on choropleth maps in series. Annals of the Association of American Geographers , 92 (4), pp.662-681.

I like the look of the map overall; the presentation is very clear and well laid out.

I think your issue with the colour stems from the use of the diverging colour scheme, in which the two different colour of the countries seem to indicate a categorical attribute rather than the obviously quantitative percentage being illustrated.

You mention having issues with single hue scales, however I would still suggest them to be the best in this situation. Potentially binning/thresholding the percentages into discrete bands would make the different saturations stick out more - I believe Tableau has an option to use ‘stepped colour’ when adjusting quantitative colour scales.

Alternatively, you could try using a multi-hue colour scheme to potentially make the difference stick out more.

Hope this helps! :grinning: